“5 Friends, 5 Senses”: Special mention 2016
The main objective of this project, which Associação para a Recuperação de Cidadãos Inadaptados da Lousã (ARCIL) carried out jointly with Agrupamento de Escolas da Lousã, is to achieve the inclusion of students with disabilities as well as their acceptance throughout the school community in Portugal through a play and an adapted production of a book about the five senses.
Therefore it was determined to achieve the following purposes:
- Explore the theme of the five senses through an accessible and inclusive approach.
- Improve and demonstrate students with multiple disabilities skills before the whole school community.
- Promote the exchange of experiences among professionals and students from different age groups and with / without special educational needs.
- Promote a time and a space for reflection on inclusive and accessible practices carried out in schools.
- Reinforce the potential and inclusive role of the library school.
- Provide the school library with adequate resources and universal design for all students.
The project resulted in an experience of universal design and effective integration felt by all, hard to verbalize, but easily illustrated by photographic records discovering unity, acceptance and participation of different educational agents. Therefore, it is important to continue with this and other projects in which the design, production and use of materials and inclusive activities that allow that Reading and Theater can become a means to the inclusion of all students within school life activities, regardless of their abilities and disabilities.